After more than 30 Airbnb apartment reservations over the past 3 years, we have come to decipher a list of things you should find out or pay attention to in order to know how to choose the best Airbnb available at your destination.
We also invite you to read our post on mobile applications that you should have when traveling here.
- 1 1. Search your Airbnb rental in advance
- 2 2. The SuperHost of Airbnb apartments
- 3 3. Choose to book on those with 10 or more comments, the more the better
- 4 4. Read the comments conscientiously, especially the bad ones
- 5 5. Use filters to search for Airbnb apartments
- 6 6. House Rules
- 7 7. Location of your Airbnb rental
- 8 8. Cancellation policy
- 9 10. Look at the number of host cancellations and the advance of these
- 10 11. Notify your arrival and departure time to make sure it is ok
- 11 12. Contact the host before confirmation of the booking if you have questions
1. Search your Airbnb rental in advance
Looking ahead to your rental Airbnb will allow you to opt for the best alternatives in the city. Since prices are entered by the owners themselves, some include discounts for reservations of a certain number of days or try to be the most competitive of the Airbnb apartments in the area to secure their reservations in advance.
If you look at the last minute, you will only see those apartments that nobody wanted to book. Remember that this is not like hotels that have many pieces available, here there is only one option for booking by date.
In addition to looking for your accommodation in advance, remember to also book tickets to the main attractions of the city. Here we tell you why this is an excellent idea.
2. The SuperHost of Airbnb apartments
Airbnb has implemented a system that helps a lot when choosing the best Airbnb apartment. This is a classification of hosts or hosts, where those with better comments, more completed leases or more rental properties are given a “superhost” rating. In general these are hosts that you can trust, and that will not surprise you with last minute cancellations. With this, the platform helps us strongly in how to choose the best Airbnb.
3. Choose to book on those with 10 or more comments, the more the better
Those apartments with less than 10 reviews may be just as good, but you run the risk of not being. We recommend always choosing those Airbnb apartments that are rented constantly and with many comments from travelers.
4. Read the comments conscientiously, especially the bad ones
The best way to understand what awaits you from an Airbnb apartment is to read the comments of other previous tenants. It has happened to us that some hosts please ask for positive reviews or that they manage to generate a bond with you being very friendly, even if the department is not so good. For this, look for negative comments or with less than 5 stars. Look for noisy neighbors, uncomfortable beds, very loud street noises, kitchens with little equipment. So you get a real idea of what awaits you when you rent that Airbnb apartment.
5. Use filters to search for Airbnb apartments
To choose the best Airbnb, the platform offers users a series of filters. For example:
- Type of apartment: Entire house (it is at your complete disposal), private room (but in a house or apartment shared with more people) or shared room (something like a private hostel).
- Services: Select if you need a washing machine, air conditioning, heating, swimming pool or whatever you want to have during your stay
- Number of people: Be honest. There are known cases of travelers who rent for 4 people and then 8 enter the apartment. Fines for noncompliance are very high and could ruin your trip.
- Parking: Not all accommodations have free parking included. In large cities or very tourist places, these may not be available. If you are going to travel by car, make sure you don’t have to pay large amounts for parking. Some places tell you about free parking but it is on the public street, if you have a problem with that, better ask the host first.
6. House Rules
Because these apartments and rooms are third-party, they set their own rules. Make sure you agree with them. For example: no smoking, pets allowed or not, arrival and departure times, time limit for entry to the house, annoying noise policy, etc. The best airbnb for you will depend a lot on these factors.
7. Location of your Airbnb rental
Anyone can rent a room on Airbnb, and this implies that they will be scattered throughout the city. Find out the area where you want to stay and limit your search to this area. This will help you a lot to filter the Airbnb apartments and be able to choose more easily.
Keep in mind that the further away from tourist areas, apartments and hotels tend to be cheaper. You may want to get away and look for an area near the subway or public transport.
8. Cancellation policy
Many apartments have extremely restrictive cancellation policies. Make sure you understand them and that they adapt to your travel style before making a reservation. For example, some allow free cancellation only up to 48 hours after the reservation is made, others up to 24 hours before your arrival at the apartment. Airbnb is not responsible for these policies as they are put by the same hosts.
If you like to travel relaxed and choosing the destinations during your trip, staying in the cities times not previously defined, then note that your Airbnb rental allows you to cancel flexibly and without associated costs; so you can choose the best Airbnb for you.
10. Look at the number of host cancellations and the advance of these
One of the critical points when choosing an Airbnb apartment is to prevent the hosts from canceling you two days before your arrival. You may be limited to doing so without paying extra charges, but the truth is that the hosts can cancel without complications.
When this occurs, an automatic message is generated within the comments section that says “The host has canceled this stay with X days in advance”.
We have seen cases of apartments with more cancellations than comments. Imagine you have everything ready for your trip and it happens to you … I can’t imagine anything more stressful! Better to choose accommodation without this type of cancellation.
11. Notify your arrival and departure time to make sure it is ok
Depending on the type of keys the apartment has, schedules can be very restricted to get to and from the apartment. If you are arriving late at night or in the early morning, make sure the host or host is available to let you in.
To avoid these problems, many hosts are implementing locks with combinations or safe boxes with code where they leave the keys and what you need during your stay.
12. Contact the host before confirmation of the booking if you have questions
If you have any questions, always contact the host before booking. For example, there are apartments with pets, so if you are allergic to cats, make sure there are none. You go to someone’s house … Anything can happen!
Contacting the hosts before choosing the best Airbnb is key to the success of your apartment reservation.